The recommended care to extend the life of a flag involves:
- Daily raising and lowering.
- Avoiding high winds and storms
- Regular washing limits deterioration through accumulated dirt and pollutants. Hand wash in lukewarm water preferably using a liquid detergent (no bleaches), rinse thoroughly and then line dry.
- Ensuring the flag is flying free of any objects such as tree branches and guttering is essential.
- Flags should be repaired immediately when frayed edges become apparent.
Flag flying during daylight hours will usually last three times longer than a flag flying 24 hours a day, therefore lower and bring your flag in at night whenever possible.
Information about flying the flag can be found at ANFA (Australian National Flag Association)